Thursday, April 28, 2011

2012 Special Olympics Scarf Project

Scarves I made for the 2011 project - all ready to go
I am excited to be able to pass on the news that the 2012 Special Olympics Scarf Project is getting started but also that they have announced the official colors.

*drum roll please*

NAVY and CHERRY RED

So it's a blue and red kind of year!

If you are looking for more information on the project, do visit their website at http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/

The website includes the color numbers as well as pictures of the yarn to be used.

Like last year, Red Heart brand yarn is to be used; however, there is additional news. Scarf  makers are not restricted to the Super Saver line only. This year you can use the colors from the Super Saver line or the Soft line of Red Heart yarn. I know I will be using the Red Heart Soft yarn simply because it is softer. It may be a little more expensive, but there is something to be said about cuddling up in a nice warm soft scarf.

I hope you take a moment to consider donating your time and efforts to making a scarf (or two or three or twenty) for our Special Olympians this upcoming year.

19 comments:

Kathleen said...

YAY, thank you for the heads-up about this! I've always wanted to join in on this project.

CrochetConcupiscence said...

I will most likely use the softer yarns that are offered this year, too. Glad they chose to do that. And I have to say I am much more in love with these colors than the turqua from 2011!

Cris said...

The turqua was very hard to work with. I will admit that it went with the blue better than I originally thought it would - but not something I would pair up on my own. These two will be a lot easier to design with.

Sherri said...

The only trouble is that it's been hard to find the soft in stores and online! I think everyone is so excited, they are buying it up!

Suziham47 said...

My local AC Moore had a lot of the soft yarn....

Shelley said...

I am trying to find easy knit patterns. any suggestions

Mimi_ster said...

My local AC Moore and Michael's both have the soft. I spoke to a manager at AC Moore about increasing the stock on hand of these colors to help S.O. Knitters and a plus to increase their sales. She was going to email

guest said...

If you mean knit patterns for the Special Olympics project, they have them on the Red Heart website.

Ssdk1957 said...

I haven't been able to find soft yarn but have bought 2 skeins ea of the super saver 14 oz . I live in a rural area but I'll look at Hobby Lobby the next time I get out there.

Cris said...

My luck has been bizarre. I can find the blue in RH Soft but no Cherry Red. I can find Cherry Red in the RH Super Saver, but not the Navy *laughing* I figure I'm going to have to go online and buy it that way... and I don't live in a rural area :)

Cris said...

Great idea - I will have to give our stores a call later because so far, I've had ZERO luck in finding what I need. :(

Cris said...

RH does have some on their website as does the Special Olympics Scarf project website. There are no set patterns you *have* to use either - so going to Ravelry and finding a free knit scarf pattern would work too. The only stipulation to this project is that you have to use the colors. I hope you find some good ones :)

Cris said...

I think so too. I'm in a pretty big city and I can't find them. I can find Navy in the soft but no cherry red... and vice versa in the super saver ... I think I'm going to call the stores later and give them a head's up that they need to order some.

Cris said...

I know they are a "more the merrier" project :) There are a LOT of people who need the scarves.

Karengeneric said...

Do you have a WalMart nearby? It's a little less expensive than the website, even though they offer a discount.

Crochetcabana said...

Both yarns are the same price at the Red Heart shop online.

Carolyn Gass said...

Our crochet group at church is already starting on these scarfs to get a head start on next year!

Linda said...

So nice to get the colors/numbers for the 2012 year so early! I just had too many difficult things happening in my life last year and was so sad I was able to send only one scarf. I promised I would do much better for the next year and I will. Linda Stansel

Diane macdougall said...

There aren't as many yards in the Soft as there are in Super Saver.

Post a Comment