Thursday, January 03, 2013

An Interpretation of my Crochet Nightmare

So in the spirit of my never leaving something alone - I decided to find a general interpretation of my dream that I posted about earlier today. I found a few spots online that had dream dictionaries - so I thought I'd throw in some of the key elements of the dream to find out what these dictionaries *think* my dream meant.

Please keep in mind I do not really believe my dreams offer any insight to my life. I have some pretty vivid dreams and to me, they are more like watching movies than anything else.

So here goes...

The key phrases I looked for were crochet, knitting, red, and broken. I think these four items were the real focus of what I was seeing. I think the frustration I felt in my sleep and after waking up was just a result of those darn loops not staying on BECAUSE of the key elements.

Crochet
If you are crocheting in your dream, it symbolizes your creative expression and artistic abilities. (But I wasn't actually crocheting - only using the crochet hook. Perhaps that is true creative expression *laughs*)

Knitting
(only because it seemed like I was knitting using a crochet hook)

If you dream that you are knitting, then it signifies a quiet, peaceful, and loving home life. It may refer to someone in my life, past or present, that I associate with knitting (which I don't think there is... I taught myself to knit. Although, I did go to yarn group last night.... maybe its those folks?)

Knitting in a dream also symbolizes creativity and accomplishments. It may also mean that I need to take time out from my regular routine (now THAT I can get on board with!)

On the downside, if I dream that I'm having difficulties in knitting, which very well may have been caused by knitting with a broken crochet hook, that it may mean that I'm avoiding some issue. (thinking.... thinking.... thinking....)
The Color Red
Direct from Dreammoods.com:
"Red is an indication of raw energy, force, vigor, intense passion, aggression, power, courage, impulsiveness and passion. The color red has deep emotional and spiritual connotations. Consider the phrase "seeing red" to denote anger. Alternatively, the color red in your dream indicates a lack of energy. You are feeling tired or lethargic.


Red is also the color of danger, violence, blood, shame, rejection, sexual impulses and urges. Perhaps you need to stop and think about your actions."

Oh boy - that one is all over the place. Am I powerful and courageous or tired and lethargic? Am I in danger, violent, shameful, sexually charged.... me oh my... yea. Not sure about that one.

The Breaking Hook
I could only find general "item breaking in dream" type interpretations... nothing specific to a breaking crochet hook.

To dream that you break something indicates that changes are ahead for you. You need to "break" away from some situation and change the direction that your life is headed in. Alternatively, to break something suggests that you need to take things slower as in "take a break". Or the dream may be a pun on being broke. Are money matters weighing on your mind?


To dream that objects around you are breaking suggests that you are under tremendous stress. The dream could be a metaphor that you are literally at your breaking point.

Breaking point? hmmm perhaps I need another day off of work to ponder this situation!

--

So there you have it. The four primary elements of my dream as interpreted by dream dictionaries, primiarly the one at DreamMoods.com. I'm not sure I buy into it, especially the color red. When you make something mean everything, it obviously has to be right. *laughs* What is the old saying "a broken watch is correct twice a day" - or something like that.

Do you have any of your own interpretations of my dream? Do you have a better resource? Have you ever had a dream and tried to interpret it yourself? Share in the comments below!


1 comments:

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

I think dreams are a way for our mind to clear itself of stuff that gets clogged and doesn't always make sense to it. Like using a crochet hook to knit (but that can be done with tunisian crochet, creating stitches with a hook that look like a knit stitch) (hmmm should you learn to do tunisian crochet?) I know I dream some weird stuff sometimes and it makes no sense and I just let it go...but I will say what I dream about usually is something I have dealt with that day or the day before. Anywho...I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Happy Hooking. :)

Post a Comment